Maundy Thur. Order of Service; 7:00 p.m.



Maundy Thursday Service
April 09, 2020
Opening Hymn - “Humble Thyself In The Sight of the Lord”
Humble thyself in the sight of the Lord.
Humble thyself in the sight of the Lord.
And He shall lift you up. Higher and higher. And He shall lift you up.
By Bob Hudson; 1978 Maranatha! Music CCCM Music (Maranatha! Music,
Admin. by Music Services, CCLI Song # 26562 CCLI License # 2938112 Used with permission.
The people standing, the Celebrant says
                        The Lord be with you.
People          And with your spirit.
Celebrant    If you truly and sincerely repent of your sins, are reconciled and at peace with your neighbors, and intend to lead a new life, following the commandments of God and walking from this day forward in His holy ways; draw near with faith, and make your humble confession to Almighty God.
Minister and People
Almighty God, Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, maker of all things, judge of all people, we acknowledge and confess our many sins, which we have committed from time to time by thought, word and deed against Your divine Majesty, provoking most justly Your righteous anger against us. We earnestly repent, and are deeply sorry for all our wrongdoings. The memory of them grieves us and the burden of them is too great for us to bear. Have mercy upon us, most merciful Father.
For Your Son our Lord Jesus Christ’s sake, forgive us all that is past and grant from this time forward we may serve and please You in newness of life, to the honor and glory of Your name; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Celebrant    Almighty God, our heavenly Father, Who in His great mercy has promised forgiveness of sins to all those who with sincere repentance and true faith turn to Him: Have mercy on you, pardon and deliver you from all your sins, confirm and strengthen you in all goodness, and bring you to everlasting life, though Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Trisagion (said by all 3X)
        Holy God,
        Holy and Mighty,
        Holy Immortal One,
        Have mercy upon us.
Celebrant            The Lord be with you.
People                  And also with you.
Celebrant            Let us pray.
Collect Prayer. Lord Jesus Christ, You who in this wonderful Sacrament have given us a memorial of Your passion: Grant us so to reverence the sacred mysteries of Your body and blood, that we may know within ourselves the fruits of Your redemption; Who are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.
LITURGY OF THE WORD
The First Reading*: Exodus 12:1-14
Psalm* 116:1-2, 12-19
1 I love the Lord, because he has heard
my voice and my pleas for mercy.
2 Because he inclined his ear to me,
therefore I will call on him as long as I live.
12 What shall I render to the Lord
for all his benefits to me?
13 I will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of the Lord,
14 I will pay my vows to the Lord
in the presence of all his people.
15 Precious in the sight of the Lord
is the death of his saints.
16 Lord, I am your servant;
I am your servant, the son of your maidservant.
You have loosed my bonds.
17 I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving
and call on the name of the Lord.
18 I will pay my vows to the Lord
in the presence of all his people,
19 in the courts of the house of the Lord,
in your midst, O Jerusalem.
      Praise the Lord!
The Second Reading*: 1 Corinthians 11:23-26
Sequence Hymn - “The Old Rugged Cross”
On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
The emblem of suffe’ring and shame;
And I love that old cross, where the dearest and best
For a world of lost sinners was slain.
Chorus
So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down.
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it someday for a crown.
O the old rugged cross, so despised by the world,
Has a wondrous attraction for me;
For the dear Lamb of God left His glory above
To bear it to dark Calvary. (Chorus)
In the old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see;
For t’was on that old cross Jesus suffered and died
To pardon and sanctify me. (Chorus)
To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear.
Then He’ll call me some day to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I’ll share. (Chorus)
George Bennard: Public Domain, Music: Public Domain
The Holy Gospel*: John 13:1-17, 31b-35
Sermon                                                                        The Rev. Andrew Doan
THE FOOTWASHING
The Bidding by the Celebrant (People respond with italicized portion)
The Lord Jesus, after He had supped with His disciples and had washed their feet, said to them, “Do you know what I, your Lord and Master, have done to you? I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done.”
Peace is my last gift to you, my own peace I now leave with you; peace which the world cannot give, I give to you.
I give you a new commandment: Love one another as I have loved you.
Peace is my last gift to you, my own peace I now leave with you; peace which the world cannot give, I give to you.
By this shall the world know that you are My disciples: That you have love for one another.

Silently meditate for a minute on what it may have been like to have Jesus wash your feet. Contemplate how you might wash the feet of others.

The Prayers of the People
Deacon or other leader.
Let us pray for the Church and for the world.
Grant, Almighty God, that all who confess your Name may be united in your truth, live together in your love, and reveal your glory in the world.
Silence
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.
Guide the people off this land, and of all the nations, in the ways of justice and peace; that we may honor one another and serve the common good.
Silence
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.
Give us all a reverence for the earth as your own creation, that we may use its resources rightly in the service of others and to your honor and glory.
Silence
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.
Bless all whose lives are closely linked with ours, and grant that we may serve Christ in them, and love one another as he loves us.
Silence
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.
Comfort and heal all those who suffer in body, mind, or spirit; give them courage and hope in their troubles, and bring them the joy of your salvation.
Silence
Lord, in your mercy.
Hear our prayer.
We commend to your mercy all who have died, that your will for them may be fulfilled; and we pray that we may share with all your saints in your eternal kingdom.
Silence
Additional intercessions, petitions and thanksgivings may be added here.
The Celebrant adds a concluding Collect.
The Peace
The Prayer of Spiritual Communion
The Celebrant and People together
O Most blessed Savior,
in union with the faithful at every altar of Your Church
where Your blessed Body and Blood are being offered to the Father,
I desire to offer You praise and thanksgiving,
I present to You my soul and body with the earnest wish that I may always be united to You.
I believe that You are truly present in the Holy Sacrament.
And since I cannot now receive You sacramentally into my heart;
I unite myself to You and embrace You with all the affections of my soul.
Let me never be separated from You.
Let me live and die in Your love. Amen.

Come, Lord Jesus, and dwell in the fullness of Your strength,
in the perfection of Your ways, and in the holiness of Your Spirit,
and rule over every hostile power in the might of Your Spirit,
and to the glory of Your Father. Amen.
Blessed, praised, and adored be Jesus Christ on His throne of glory in Heaven,
and in the most Holy Sacrament of the Altar. Amen.
The Anima Christi (Celebrant & people together)
Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me;
Blood of Christ, inebriate me;
Water from the side of Christ, wash me;
Passion of Christ, strengthen me;
O good Jesu, hear me;
Within Your wounds hide me;
Suffer me not to be separated from You;
From the malicious enemy defend me;
In the hour of death call me,
And bid me come to You.
And with Your Saints may I praise You
For ever and ever. Amen.
Closing Hymn     “Rock of Ages”
Could my tears forever flow, could my zeal no languor know
These for sin could not atone; Thou must save, and Thou alone.
In my hand no price I bring; simply to Thy cross I cling.
While I draw this fleeting breath, when mine eyelids close in death,
When I rise to worlds unknown, and behold Thee on Thy throne;
Rock of Ages, cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee.
Words & Music: Public Domain
A reading from Matthew 26:30-46
Pause for silent prayer.


THE WATCH
The Celebrant says
The Watch begins.
The Congregation departs in silence, and participates in the Watch.

Choose a time slot of one hour to pray between the conclusion of this service and Noon tomorrow. No sign-up sheet this year.
  
The Solid Rock Church
Regular mail:
P.O. Box 926, Winter Haven, FL 33882

Location:
3601 Cypress Gardens Road, Winter Haven, FL 33884

863-875-4825

www.thesolidrockchurch.info
Facebook - @thesolidrockchurch
Twitter - @solidrockfl
Instagram - @thesolidrockchurch

*Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version, copyright © 2001 by Crossway Bibles, a division of Good New Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's with "Lent"???

Order of Service, Prayer Page, and Readings for Palm Sun., April 05, 2020

NEW STUDY & Sermon Series begins Sept. 1