The Dilemma?

If you have not read the previous blog post (The Greatest Question?), it will help if you go do so now. But if you really don’t want to, I ended with the the question of how do we know what we know, and how do we know that what we know is in fact true, real, something to put our trust in? Will we stake our life on the truth or validity of what we claim to know?
Again, some may say that level of knowing or confidence in some areas of life is unknowable. And that may be very true for some areas of life. But is it true in the question of “What happens after I die?” Or more specifically, “What happens TO ME after I die?”
That is the dilemma we all face: What will happen to ME when I’m dead? This can be viewed as a question of philosophy, or of religion. But again, we must ask how do those who write, speak, teach on these things know what they put forth is in fact true? Some make a best guess and leave it at that. Some make observations about people and things around them, and come to conclusions. Some read profusely on the topic and ascertain who has the best thoughts or who puts forward ideas that make the most sense. Some read, research, study widely, deeply, and over a long time and then bring together what they think are the best or most plausible ideas. Maybe someone will do all the above and conclude no one knew enough, and will come up with their own answer to the greatest question. But is any of that a valid way to answer our question? Again, how do we know that what one person puts forth as true is in fact true? Are they using a method of gaining knowledge that is universally true for everyone?
Another way of stating it after our research is all done is, “Is there something about this I don’t know?” Well, how would we know the answer to that question? We don’t know what we don’t know – that’s why we keep studying, seeking, reading, listening, etc.
And here’s the kicker… what if I die before I learn what I didn’t know that would have made a world of difference? Are we left to ourselves or to chance or to something else to be sure this doesn’t happen? How will we know?
As I wrote in the earlier post, when I asked this question I began with myself. Is there a better way to approach this question? If you have read this far, why do you even have that question? What is it about us that prompts the question? Why do you and I want to know?
This now gets into the area of subjective experience in life. Is the question of what happens to me after I die in the same category of importance as “I like chocolate better than vanilla” or “I like warmer climates better than cooler climates”?
There is an answer! I have that answer, and I’ll give it to you if you want it!
More to come next blog!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What's with "Lent"???

Order of Service, Prayer Page, and Readings for Palm Sun., April 05, 2020

NEW STUDY & Sermon Series begins Sept. 1